2015 was a great year for new tools and features in Office 365 Education. I thought…
Link: nsquared herding
Price: Free (with in-app purchases)
Description: nsquared herding is designed to develop numeracy, pattern matching and object recognition skills.
Designed for one to four students (depending on the size of your device, you may only be able to have up to two students at a time), herding requires each student to collect the correct numbers of each target object and place them into their own area.
Great for small group learning.
The nsquared team have created a whole bunch of education apps for different platforms. This was the first one I tried on Windows 8. I often use this app when demonstrating Windows 8 devices as it shows the multi-touch capabilities well! I had great fun with this on a huge Dell All-In-One PC at a conference yesterday.
- For free, you can play three rounds of the farm animals pack or the marine pack – full packs can be purchased for $1.49 each.
- There are lots of additional packs to purchase, such as Sports, Tools, Space, etc.
- It would be good to have a ‘purchase all’ option.
- It is really easy to use the activity and the multiplayer mode adds a good element of competition.
- There is an option to turn off the background music from the Charm bar settings, but I don’t think you can turn off the in-game sounds.
- On the Farm Animals game that I played, I sometimes found it difficult to read the numbers – red text on a brown background isn’t the best combination. (I read a 1 as a 7 and lost a game, so maybe I am just bitter!)
Stevo says, “Here’s a video of the app in action.”
Please visit the Windows 8 App Reviews archive to find other apps for use in learning and teaching.