Office Mix is a free add-in for PowerPoint. Office Mix is great!
I have spoken to lots of teachers who are using Mix to create presentations, videos and activities for their students. Microsoft has created a site especially for teachers: mixforteachers.com.
However it is a great tool for students as well. Here are ten quick ideas for student use of Mix:
- Use a blank slide for mindmapping in group project work; record your conversations for evidence.
- Create a Mix TV ad to promote the book you are currently reading; use quizzes to get feedback from your peers.
- Create Mixes teaching local culture, history etc. for students in different countries (particularly where time zones make Skype a bit impractical).
- Record compositions or class singing and share with parents; include lyrics and animations so parents can join in karaoke style.
- Scan or photograph student work and record peer feedback.
- Create a Mix of a learning project or story; include videos, photos and scans or work, add a voiceover to tell your journey.
- Recreate a historic speech – use creative commons images and sound clips to enhance.
- Display the work and results of a science project from hypothesis to conclusion; include quizzes to collect peers and parents thoughts on the results.
- Create a virtual tour of the school for your school website – include quizzes to test new students and visitors .
- Collate the best slides from all your Mixes to create an end-of-term Mix and share with the rest of the school and parents.
Here is a video showing an example of Mix being used to demonstrate student understanding: